120 years ago, on May 1, 1893, Chicago’s first world’s fair, the World's Columbian Exposition, opened to the public. The Exposition commemorated the 400th anniversary of the discovery of the new world by Christopher Columbus, celebrated the progress of civilization, and heralded Chicago’s claim to being a world-class city. U.S. President Grover Cleveland and Chicago Mayor Carter Harrison led the parade down Michigan Avenue to open the Fair on May 1, 1893.
World-class architects designed the classical buildings for the Fair, which took place in Jackson Park and the Midway Plaisance near the University of Chicago. One significant building, making up part of The White City, was the Transportation Building, built by Adler and Sullivan, who would later design the Auditorium Building.
The Murray-Green Library has installed a display of rare books, photographs and books from the Exposition, drawn from the University Archives and circulating book collection, on the 10th floor of the Auditorium Building. The display will run from May through August. Stop by the library for a visit!
For more information on the World's Columbian Exposition, visit this site: libguides.roosevelt.edu/content.php?pid=461786